my mantra for 2014. be brilliant. be brave.
i love new years day. it’s the feeling of a fresh start. a new beginning. the first page of a story.
i also think that new year resolutions are still good for the soul. so, here are mine.
1. Read a Psalm a day - before I left for Christmas break I was talking to a professor who was going through the Psalms. the way she talked about it was so passionate and refreshing. she was learning new things, she was reading chapters of the Bible that she hadn’t before, she was weeping from the joy of the Lord. i want that. so here’s to the Psalms for 2014.
2. Write more - whether it’s in my journal or on this blog, i just want to do it more often. i’m passionate about writing. i feel like my writing is honest and real and i want others to see it. not only that, but i want to see it for myself. i want my writing to be brilliant and i want to be brave enough to let others see it.
3. Stay physically fit and eat healthier - well, isn’t this the looming new years resolution everyone has. if i really succeed at this i will be shocked. but it’s time i be more practical about it all. it’s as simple as running a mile once a week or drinking water every day. it’s not like i have to go sign up for gym membership. i’m just going to take the steps that are practical for me to accomplish this goal. if and when you see me, ask me how i’m doing. i’ll need help with this one.
4. Go to bed before midnight - unless i’m partying hard (which is highly unlikely) i don’t need to be up past midnight for no reason. Pretty Little Liars and facebook can wait another day. sleep is important and if i’m going to bed at a decent hour, waking up will be more refreshing. i like the sound of refreshing mornings.
5. Get a tattoo - ha. this is more a bucket list goal. but i’m really thinking of getting the word joy tattooed when i turn 20. it’s time. i want it. be brave right?
6. Revamp my Spotify - i want to take a good amount of time to make some solid playlists on my spotify. a worship playlist. a dance party playlist. a rainy day playlist. have any suggestions? please send them my way. i’m itching for new music in 2014.
7. Leisurely read 3 books - you must be thinking, really? only 3. okay, i’m a full time college student. leisure reading doesn’t exist throughout the school year. if anything these books will be read during the summer, if that. but i love reading and i miss it dearly. so, this is happening. i’m determined with this one.
8. Stay simple - 2013 was spent with me making things way too difficult for myself. i’m an adult. if things don’t need to be complicated, don’t make it. simplifying my life is much needed. i am blessed with many things and i’m naturally a simple person. no need to be too hard on myself.
9. Work hard in school - i’m paying lots of money for college. it’s time i make the best of my second semester of my junior year and my first semester of senior year. i want to get good grades. i want to be a good leader. i want a good balance of social and education life. i know it’s possible.
10. Serve others. Love well. - always easier said than done. but i think there is something to say about being selfless. the world does not revolve around me, nor should it. this is my take on being more and more like Jesus. this was something He did perfectly and though i will never be able to do that, i’m going to do my best to get as close as possible. people deserve it. people deserve to be served and loved by the hands and feet of Jesus and that is who i’m called to be.
alright. there is my 10.